Saturday 31 October 2009

Having had some time to review my research into overhearing I have had some developments, as the next brief was looking at packaging and promoting/informing/instructing/persuading i have had to find a way to involve overhearing.
Proposal 1
One of my proposals was to produce promotional media for a coffee house. Using the idea of a coffee house as a social place of interest where people would go to eat drink and more importantly chat and talk, therefore overhearing is likely to occur, I intend to promote overhearing in a subtle advertising campaign. The campaign will comprise of a series of visuals on interior posters and decoration, articles of beverages such as cups and even sugar packets as well as a window display, the visuals will be based on quotations which can be taken from overhearings in the coffee house. This campaign will act to create a cycle, the idea being that people look and discuss the quotes, which in turn is overheard and the cycle begins.
This campaign will promote the coffee house as a good place to socialize and chat aswell as enjoy beverages and lunches and possibly help increase customer revenue. And with interesting visuals the campaign could even increase IPC where customers purchase more because of the visuals on items, this could also increase the number of customers eating in as oppose to out.
I have been looking a existing coffee houses in leeds, ideally independent coffee houses and bars as i could think about approaching one of them to see if they were interested in the project.
As for creating a visual style to this I have had a couple of ideas in mind, because the is a lot of text within my project, quotations being my main focus, the design could be quite typographical, the cover of the book "New Vintage Type" by Stephen Heller gave me great inspiration and the vintage feel would be perfect for use in a coffee house. A limited colour pallet I think would help keep print costs low and co-inside with the feel of the project and setting of a coffee house. I also intend to look at feasibility of this project, costs of printing etc.
Proposal 2
In a similar sense to the previous proposal I intend to produce packaging and promotional media for a phone. The phone being an article used to communicate and share this which inadvertently in almost always herd by someone else, typical example being on buses and again in cafes and bars. Using again the idea of quotations the promotional material would be based on the quotations that I take of people primarily on the phone and would be used to create visuals most likely in the same manner as before.
The campaign again would be used to increase customer revenue and purchases of the particular phone and customer interest towards the phone company of choice could increase.

As you could probably tell from this, my main interest is in the first proposal, being it more feasible I would like to continue my efforts into this. On wednesday I have to pitch my idea to my colleagues and tutor, hopefully they will agree. As for the research I have obtained loads of visuals to work with on the blog and in my physical work. This video below is for a Carphone Warehouse promotion by Kristopher Strom, this was one of the key visuals I looked for the phone packaging proposal. I really like the illustrative style I think these would look great next to some hand-drawn text of the quotations I've been collecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment